Lovers of intoxicating drinks are well acquainted with the unpleasant symptoms of a pickle juice hangover. Nausea, headaches, dry mouth, and digestive upsets are only part of the list of unpleasant sensations after consuming large amounts of alcohol. To reduce the effects of this condition, people resort to various methods. One of the most effective hangover remedies is pickled cucumber juice, i.e. acid produced during the spontaneous fermentation of cucumbers.
- WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS OF PICKLED CUCUMBER JUICE?
- WHY MARINATE HELPS WITH HANGOVERS: A MEDICAL REASON
- WHAT HAPPENS AFTER DRINKING ALCOHOL?
- WHAT AFTER PICKLE JUICE IS THE BEST TO DRINK FOR A HANGOVER?
- HOW TO DRINK PICKLED CUCUMBER JUICE FOR A HANGOVER?
- WHCANNOTOT DRINK PICKLED CUCUMBER JUICE FOR A HANGOVER?
Since pre-Slavic times, throughout Eastern Europe, hangover symptoms have been treated with brine solutions saturated with fermented vegetable juices – from pickled cucumbers, cabbage, or beets. The use of cucumber pickles for hangovers is practiced in folk medicine in Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, and Russia. The beneficial effect of acid from pickled cucumbers on the body results from the composition and properties of this solution. It turns out that pickled cucumber juice has isotonic properties. There is a scientific answer to why cucumber water helps with a hangover.
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS OF PICKLE CUCUMBER JUICE?
Pickled cucumber brine is a liquid that is produced in the process of fermentation, salting, and soaking vegetables. The main components of the solution are salt, water, herbs, and spices. In the brine preparation process, lactic acid and natural acetic acid are produced as a result of wet fermentation.
The solution is saturated with potassium, sodium, and magnesium ions, vitamin C, essential oils, copper compounds, and active substances released from spices. Dill deserves special attention. Fennel essential oils have a beneficial effect on the digestive tract, eliminate spasms, and stabilize the stomach and intestines. Dill oil has long been known for its healing properties.
Healers in ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, and medieval Europe used it as a sedative. Dill oil has a calming effect on the nervous system, relieves nervous tension, and relieves stress and neurosis. The substances contained in dill promote the elimination of toxins, eliminate swelling and have a mild diuretic effect.
WHY MARINATE HELPS WITH HANGOVERS: A MEDICAL REASON
One of the reasons for the deterioration of health after a large dose of alcohol is dehydration and violation of the water and electrolyte balance in the body. Why does pickled cucumber juice help with a hangover? Because it restores the lost fluid balance. Alcohol is an inhibitor of the hormone vasopressin, the concentration of which drops sharply after drinking alcoholic beverages. The functions of vasopressin are related to water retention in the body and constriction of blood vessels.
The body tissues swell when there is no water in the bloodstream. The blood becomes sticky. Blood parameters deteriorate. Why is it better to drink cucumber pickle for a hangover instead of plain water? Water will lower the osmotic pressure of the blood plasma. The osmotic pressure is affected by the concentration of salts and solutes in water. Osmotic pressure receptors respond to regular water intake. They signal to the brain that there is excess fluid in the tissues that need to be removed. The advantage of pickled cucumber brine is the presence of salts and electrolytes dissolved in it, which restore normal osmotic pressure. A glass of sour-salty drink is the first step towards improving the functioning of organs and systems. Then you can replenish your moisture stores with mineral water, sugar-free natural fruit drinks and juices, green tea, ginger mint tea, and other unsweetened drinks.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER DRINKING ALCOHOL?
It takes 8-12 hours to process and clean the body’s tissues from alcohol. When the level of ethanol in the blood approaches zero, withdrawal symptoms appear, in everyday life referred to as a hangover. After alcohol intoxication, the systems and organs need support. Ethanol works similarly to diuretics. Alcohol promotes the elimination of fluids from the body through the urinary and respiratory systems.
In a state of intoxication, the breath accelerates, and the liquid intensively turns into vapors. A protective reaction of the body is triggered, which tries to remove the ethanol. As a result, in 1-2 hours a person loses 0.6-1 liters of fluid. Weakness, thirst, and dizziness are symptoms of tissue dehydration. Why and how withdrawal symptoms occur:
- Alcohol irritates the stomach lining, which can lead to nausea, abdominal pain, and vomiting.
- The decomposition reaction of ethyl alcohol is accompanied by a decrease in glucose levels, and loss of vitamins, and microelements. The result is a feeling of weakness, fatigue, and a sharp change in mood.
- An intermediate product of ethanol breakdown – acetaldehyde – accelerates the pulse, and causes tachycardia and increased sweating.
- The functions of the nervous system are impaired, and the REM sleep phase is shortened. If you drank alcohol in the evening, after waking up in the morning, the person feels exhausted and sleepy.
- The destruction of brain cells leads to an increase in the volume of cerebrospinal fluid in the skull. Due to excess fluid, an unbearable headache appears.
- Edema arises due to moisture accumulated in the intercellular space. In combination with an increase in blood viscosity, edema impairs the functions of organs and elements of the cardiovascular system.
HOW TO DEAL WITH A HANGOVER HOME REMEDIES FOR A HANGOVER
The ingredients in pickled cucumber juice combat all symptoms of withdrawal symptoms, including dry mouth, fatigue, and dehydration. Substances contained in the solution after pickling cucumbers cleanse the cells of the liver and kidneys, helping the organs to remove harmful decomposition products of ethyl alcohol. How brine helps with a hangover:
- Restores normal muscle tone, restores strength, and energy.
- It relieves headaches.
- Normalizes blood pressure.
- It stabilizes the work of the heart muscle and aligns its rhythm and speed of contractions.
The therapeutic effect of cucumber juice can be compared to the effects of hangover preparations, which are a source of potassium and magnesium ions. However, such means have several contraindications. There are much fewer restrictions on the use of a natural remedy – pickled cucumber juice. Alternatively, doctors recommend fermented milk products, which are also rich in trace elements and vitamins and minimize the toxic effects of toxic substances.
WHAT AFTER PICKLE JUICE IS THE BEST TO DRINK FOR A HANGOVER?
- Pickled cucumber juice and pickled cabbage juice are equally effective in combating withdrawal symptoms. Sauerkraut juice contains succinic acid, which accelerates metabolism, and has antioxidant and antitoxic properties. Succinic acid regulates and stimulates the processes of cellular respiration, which is important after alcohol poisoning when brain cells and other tissues suffer from hypoxia – oxygen starvation.
- Succinic acid eliminates puffiness, strengthens the immune system, and helps the body overcome the effects of alcohol intoxication. After poisoning with ethanol and its metabolites, cells are better saturated with oxygen, brain function is normalized, and organ functions are restored faster. Succinic acid preparations are prescribed to patients after physical, mental, and psycho-emotional stress. Here are the key features of each type of fruit juice:
- Pickle cucumber juice contains copper compounds. It relieves headaches and helps cleanse the blood and tissues of toxins and harmful substances.
- Sauerkraut juice contains large amounts of vitamin C, has a mild effect on the gastric mucosa without irritating it, improves the functioning of the urinary system, and cleanses the liver and kidney cells.
- Pickle beetroot juice helps fight vitamin deficiencies, strengthens the immune system, and provides the missing sugars.Experts believe that the type of pickled vegetable juice does not play a special role. The most important thing is that the product consists of natural substances without the use of industrial vinegar, flavors, preservatives, and other additives. If pickled cucumber juice is too salty, dilute it with water. Traditionally, after drinking a large amount of alcohol, folk medicine recommends drinking juice from pickled vegetables or eating soup with them.
HOW TO DRINK PICKLED CUCUMBER JUICE FOR A HANGOVER?
When drinking pickled cucumber juice during a hangover, you should strictly follow the recommended dosage to benefit and prevent possible harm. Doctors recommend drinking only 1 glass of juice from pickled cucumbers, sauerkraut, or pickled beets.
WHO CANNOT DRINK PICKLE CUCUMBER JUICE FOR A HANGOVER?
It is forbidden to juice from pickled vegetables to people who have been diagnosed with gastritis, stomach ulcers, and other diseases of the digestive tract in the acute stage. In this case, the product obtained by fermenting cabbage is more suitable. It is not recommended to use a sour-salty drink if the acidity of gastric juice increases.